SPECIAL "While At the State Fair, Visit the Fanac Barn" September 1995 EINBLATT
No info received this month re Minneapa, Minicon committe meetings, or
MinnSTF Board. Maybe everyone's in Scotland and not returning my
calls? SF MN will probably meet to view and discuss THE X FILES, but
date and place TBA: call Eric at 825-9353 FFI.
- SEPT 2 (Sat):
- MinnSTF meeting. 2:30 pm on, at home of Greg Cotton and Cat Ocel / 5227 S.
33rd Ave. (Mpls). Cats; not childproof; smoking in
house/nonsmoking on porch. FFI: 729-1473.
- 8 (Fri):
- Arcana committee meeting. 8 pm, at Oliver's / 2007 Lyndale Ave. S. (Mpls).
FFI: Kathy Youker at 484-2575.
- 9 (Sat):
- World Building Society meets at 1 pm at Boomer's / 312 Central Ave. S. (Mpls).
"Look for the people with the books." Topic: Future Amusement.
FFI: Dan Goodman at
871-5461 or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10 (Sun):
- Diversicon committee meeting. 2 pm, at home of Joe Agee and Andrew Berthke /
7433 Humboldt Ave. S. (Richfield). Topic: D3 post-mortem; D4 hotel and posthumous
GoH. FFI: 798-5880.
- 14 (Thu):
- North Country Gaylaxians meeting; place and time TBA. FFI: 798-5880.
- 15 (Fri):
- DreamHaven scheduled to reopen at 912 W. Lake Street (Mpls). FFI: 379-8924.
- 16 (Sat):
- Minn-STF meeting. 2:30 pm on at place TBA. Call the hotline (824-5559) for
updated information, or call Minn-STF President Lydia Nickerson (374-5171) to
volunteer your place to host this or any other upcoming meeting.
- 16 (Sat):
- Seymour Simon, children's popular science author, speaks at 11 am at Southdale
(Hennepin County) Library / 7001 York Ave. S. (Edina). FFI: Laura at 827-1775.
- 16 (Sat):
- Rivendell Group meets at 1:30 at home of Andy & John Terwilliger / 2123 Lincoln
St. NE (Mpls). Topic: Pavic's Dictionary of the Khazars. FFI: 789-8185 or 292-8887.
- 16 (Sat):
- Sneaking Suspicion plays 8:30 to 11:30 pm at the Coffee Gallery / 715 W.
Franklin Avenue (Mpls). FFI: 822-9172, or Barb or David at 822-9172.
- 17 (Sun):
- Second Foundation meeting. 2 pm, at CityView Community CoOp / 1807 Elliot Ave.
S. (Mpls). Topic: The Works of Clifford D. Simak. FFI: 872-6926 or 825-9353.
- 18 (Mon):
- Orson Scott Card autographs from 5 to 6:30 at Uncle Hugo's SF Bookstore / 2864
Chicago Ave. S. (Mpls). FFI: 824-6347 or email@example.com
- 19 (Tue):
- Sneaking Suspicion plays circa 9-ish to 10-ish at the Time Cafe / 1036 Nicollet
Mall (Mpls). FFI: 333-2762, or David or Barb at 822-9172.
- 21 (Thu):
- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro autographs from 5-6:30 pm at Uncle Hugo's (address above).
- 26 (Tue):
- Deadline to get information in the October Einblatt is 7:00:00 pm: 824-5157.
Advance October Notes
- MinnSTF 7th & 21st
- MIFWA 7th
- StippleApa 7th
- Einblatt deadline 31st
Changes of Address
- Rick Gellman / 855 West 7th Street / St Paul MN 55102
- Karen Cooper, Jenny Baker, Bruce Schneier / 101 E. Minnehaha Parkway / Mpls MN 55419
- Kris Spiesz / 4733 2nd Avenue S. / Minneapolis MN 55409
- Eileen Lufkin, Martin Schafer, Reen Brust and Aliera, Carolyn, Toni, Corwin Brust /
have moved to the new Courts of Chaos: 2609 3rd Avenue S. / Mpls MN 55408
- Laurel Krahn / 5401 W. 26th St. - #301 / Sioux Falls SD 57106 // (605) 361-3974 //
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (contact her FFI re Flash Girls internet mailing list).
- Matthew Tepper has a new work phone number (and a new job): (310) 453-6100
5: Sharon Kahn; 6: Greg Foss; 7: Michael A. Zalar; 8: Louie Spooner
Trainor; 12: Jean Mornard; 16: Jane Hausfeld; Kris Jensen; 17: Barbara
Geraud; Kathy Routliffe; 21: David
Dyer-Bennet; 22: Dave Wixon; 23: Matthew B. Tepper; 26: Michael
Flowers; Lon Levy; Denny Lien; Mark Richards; 27: Jeanne Mealy; 29:
Eileen Lufkin; Anne Miller; 30: Jon Singer
Other Events of Note
Samuel R. Delany teachs "Topics in Advanced Creative Writing" at U
Fall Qt. FFI: 625-6366.
Will Shetterly reports that he and Emma are NOT guests at Ravencon in
VA this month.
Girls were profiled in August 9 CITY PAGES column ("Letter Girls"
by Jim Meyer).
Eleanor Arnason's "The Lovers" was novelette runner-up in annual
ASIMOV'S Readers' Awards.
LOCUS Poll for best of 1994 includes four locals in top 20 "Best
Fantasy Novel" category: Emma Bull's
Finder at #4, Steven Brust's Five
Hundred Years After at #7, Caroline Stevermer's A College
of Magics at #12, and Pamela
Dean's The Dubious Hills at #19. Additionally,
Eleanor Arnason's "The Lovers" was #8 on Novelette list; Jack Zipes'
Fairy Tale as Myth/Myth as Fairy Tale was #5 on
Non-Fiction list; and Robert Bloch's The Early Fears,
from local publisher Fedogan and Bremer, wa #8 on Collection list.
Recent reprints include The Road Home by Joel Rosenberg (July
Penguin/Roc pb; also July SFBC hc; The Magnificent Wilf
by Gordon R. Dickson (July SFBC hc); Nevernever by Will
Shetterly (due as October pb reprint from Tor); and Other by Dickson
and The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (both scheduled
for December pb reprints from Tor).
Apologies for misspelling Curtis Hoffmann's name last month (and
"Portuguese" in June...).
Dave Romm announces a new Web page featuring Shockwave at: http://www.winternet.com/~romm
And, inevitably, MinnSTF itself now has its own home page:
Conventions--Local And/Or With Locals As Guests
(mostly--LOCUS or me for more details):
- MosquitoCon 95 (Sept. 2).
- GoH: "a pair of Disney animators." National Guard Armory (Roseville).
"An animation and science fiction celebration." FFI:
- ConGenial (Sept. 1-3).
- GoH: Richard Tucholka, Nate Bucklin. Holiday Inn, Rochelle IL.
- MadMedia II (Sept. 8-10).
- GoH: Peter Krause, Gordon Purcell, Glen Prochet, Grace Lee
Whitney. Holiday Inn SE, Madison. $30. FFI: Box 9873 / Madison WI
53715-9873; or MadMedia@AOL.COM
- Arcana (Sept. 22-24).
- GoH: Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Holiday Inn Bandana Square (St. Paul). $20 to
Sept. 1 (then $30 at door) to: PO Box 8036 / Lake Street
Station / Mpls MN 55408. (Checks
should be made out to "Arcana.")
- FirstContact 2 (Oct. 6-8).
- GoH: Martin H. Greenberg, Robb Ruppel, William Roper. Milwaukee. $25.
FFI: MFSCI / Box 92726 / Milwaukee WI 53202; or: email@example.com
- ICON 20 (Oct. 6-8).
- GoH: Steven Barnes, Phil Hester, Myrna (Dragon Lady) Logan. Best Western /
Westfield Inn, Coralville IA. $30. Box 525 / Iowa City IA
- Valleycon 20 (Oct. 6-8).
- GoH: Simon Hawke, Robin Wood, Blair Flegle. Doublewood Inn, Fargo. $10
to August 31; $15 at door. FFI: Box 7202 / Fargo ND 58109; or
- ReinCONation 5 (Oct. 13-15).
- GoH: Judith Merril, Andy Hooper. Regency Plaza (downtown Mpls). $20
(or "traditional $19.73") to Labor Day; then $30 at door.
Child under 12: $10. One day pass:
$15. FFI: ReinCONation / c/o MN SF Society / PO Box 8297 / Lake
Street Station / Mpls MN 55408.
- Contraception 7 (Oct. 27-29).
- GoH: Lee Killough, Myrna Logan, Ray Van Tillburg. Howard Johnson E.,
Independence MO. Adults-only relaxicon. $15 to 15 Sept. Box
1046 / Lee's Summit MO 64063.
- Consanguinity 2 (Nov. 3-5).
- GoH: PN Elrod, Fred Saberhagen, James O'Barr. Lisle IL. (708) 961-0056
- Saints' Con VI (Nov. 4-5).
- Gaming con in St. Cloud. $4 to 15 Sept; then $8. FFI: (612) 240-9447.
- Windycon 22 (Nov. 10-12).
- Poul Anderson, Stanley Schmidt, Heather Bruton, Dick and Leah Zeldes
Smith. Schaumburg IL. $25 to 2 Oct. to: Box 184 / Palatine IL
60078-0184. FFI: (708) 383-6948
- Orycon 17 (Nov. 10-12).
- GoH includes Joel Rosenberg. $25 to 31 Oct. Portland, OR. (503) 283-0802.
- Arisia '96 (Jan. 12-14, 1996).
- GoH include Emma Bull
Shetterly. Boston Park Plaza. $30 to
30 Nov. FFI: One Kendall Square--# 322 / Cambridge MA 02139, or
- Chattacon 21 (Jan.12-14).
- GoH include Steven Brust[or this mirror].
$22 to 30 Nov. Chattanooga. (404) 578-8461.
- Cremecon (Feb. 2-4).
- GoH: Lawrence Watt-Evans, Sue Weinlein, CH Burnett, Richard
WI. $20 to 4 Jan to: PO Box 37986 / Milwaukee WI 53237
(include SASE). FFI: (414) 223-3243.
- ConamaZoo 4
- GoH: Pamela Dean. Battle Creek MI. $20 to Box 1546 / Evanston IL 60204.
- Minicon 31 (April 5-7).
- GoH: David Ossman, Joe Siclari, Edie Stern, others TBA.
Radisson South (Bloomington). $25 to 31 Oct. ($12 for
12-and-unders); then $30 to 14 Feb; then $60, to: PO
Box 8297 / Lake Street Station / Mpls MN 55408. FFI: 333-7533,
- Conquest 27 (May 24-26).
- GoH: Allen Steele, Lubov, Myrna Logan, Lee Killough. FFI:
Conquest 27 / Box 36212 / Kansas City MO 64171; call (913)
649-8733, or e-mail: K-Stokes3@genie.geis.com
- SFRA 1996 (June 21-23).
- GoH: Pamela Sargent & George Zebrowski; also Eleanor Arnason,
Earl Joseph, & Joan Slonczewski. University of Wisconsin--Eau
Claire campus. More to follow.
- Diversicon 4 (August 2-4).
- GoH: Maureen McHugh. $15 adult/$10 child through 3 Sept; then $20 and
$15. FFI: Box 8036 / Lake Street Station / Minneapolis MN 55408-8036.
- Bouchercon 27 (Oct. 9-13, 1996).
- Radisson Hotel (St. Paul). $50 to 9 Oct. 95. FFI: 871-1227.
Minn-STF Hotline: Provides latest information and accepts messages:
Minicon Voice Mail: accepts messages/questions on upcoming Minicon:
Gamesday Players: Board & card gaming almost every Friday evening.
FFI: Richard Tatge at 827-3228.
Shockwave (and) Sound
Affects. Local sf radio shows. Saturdays at 6-6:30/6:30-7 on KFAI-FM (90.3).(Warning, the KFAI
page works only with Netscape)
Einblatt also posted on Usenet groups alt.fandom.misc ((and)) rec.arts.sf.fandom ((and)) mn.general
Einblatt from July 95 to date also archived at this WorldWideWeb
Local SF/Fantasy Computer Bulletin Boards
Fire Opal 822-4812 Sysop: Scott Raun
Terraboard 721-8967 Sysop: David Dyer-Bennet
Mostly Harmless 943-1506 Sysop: TomKat Keeley
Einblatt is a monthly publication of the Minnesota Science Fiction
Society, devoted to news of the local sf community. Send same to
Denny Lien / 3149 Park Ave. S. / Minneapolis MN 55407; or call me at
(612) 824-5157 or 624-0503 (work). E-mail can now go to:
firstname.lastname@example.org ((or)) to me at:
Next deadline is 7:00 pm sharp on Tuesday, September 26, 1995.
David Dyer-Bennet <email@example.com>
Last modified: Fri Sep 1 13:46:33 1995