Useful Things to Know BEFORE Conjecture 3
from Patricia Zetelumen
If you are planning to attend Conjecture 3, there are some things you might want to know beforehand so that you can prepare or bring along items to make the events more enjoyable for yourself and others. Nothing below is required to come have fun. It's just info in case you want to bring something. :) Please see the Programming Schedule for more information.
I'm sure this is not an exhaustive list, but it's what I know about:
- Friday Dinner: Email firstname.lastname@example.org before TUESDAY, 10/16 at 5pm to participate (buffet-style Indian meal with vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options, details here). Bring $10 cash (plus tip) to pay for it.
- Saturday Dinner: Bring cash to participate in pizza order. (This generally winds up being around $10/person.)
- Sunday Dinner: Bring money to participate in dinner expedition to The Tea House.
- Please consider bringing your own bottle/mug/cup for water, coffee, tea, etc. to help reduce the amount of waste this con produces.
- Bring left over napkins, paper plates, disposable cups, etc. you want to contribute and get out of your cabinets (in case we don't have enough of the above!).
- Thanks to Laura for bringing her Hello Kitty toaster, Carol for bringing her coffee maker, Becca for bringing her electric water kettle, and Peggy for bringing lots of things from home, and to all of you for all you bring!
- Feel free to bring any board, card, or other games you want to play (many provided).
Programming Department (if you want to participate in certain programming items, you might want to bring some of the following):
- Since we are not doing an official photography panel this year, if you would like to share your photos, please bring a slide show of photographs on a CD or thumb drive to show on the programming room TV. (Talk to Dean Gahlon beforehand about technical requirements.)
Friday (Fire/Tropical Theme Day)
- Art or craft projects to work on and craft materials to exchange or give away
- (At least vaguely) SF/F-related stuff to sell, trade, or give away
- A small dull knife and any sharpening equipment you have
- A small sharp knife (look at the event coordination and marvel!) and something edible to turn into art
- For our tropical themed dinner, you are encouraged to wear your favorite Hawaiian shirt or other tropical or Indian attire.
- A dessert (Let Laura Krentz know what you plan to bring if you can—vegan desserts especially welcome)
- A short presentation (five minutes or less) of a favorite reading,
poem, song, or other material to share
- Fannish/fun PJs
Saturday (Ice/Canadian Theme Day)
- SodaStream soft drink machine, syrups, and/or SodaStream bottles (tell Laura if you can bring these)
- Whatever you need to take a nature walk (camera, sunglasses, walking shoes, water bottle, etc)
- Your favorite/special tea cup
- Fancy dress-clothes/jewelry
- Rise Up Singing and your musical instruments
- A bottle of some impressive or interesting spirits to share with others
- New gadgets, applets, tablets, aglets, etc.
(My thanks to Laura Krentz for putting together the Conjecture 3 Programming Schedule where I got most (all?) of this info and from where I stole much of the language for this guide. Please see the Program Schedule for more info.)