As usual, we're at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel. The con rate is $89 for normal rooms, $99 for pool-side cabanas. Our official room block deadline was March 19. However, the hotel has agreed to honor Minicon rates up to and during the convention.
Since it is so close to the con, the hotel's software will report the block as full. This is not actually true. In order to get a room at our rates, you will need to either:
- Call the local hotel number, 952-835-7800. The employees there should know of our special arrangements. (If you call the national Sheraton number, your chances are much lower.) If they don't, see below.
- If you only want a room for Saturday and/or Sunday, try using this link. If you are told the block is full, try calling or see below.
- To get a cabana (poolside), e-mail our parties head: <parties@
minicon44. mnstf. org>. These are now open for any Minicon member. This is probably the easiest method since it completely bypasses the hotel's computer system. However, don't do this after midday Wednesday, as we will no longer be checking our e-mail.
- Arrive at the con, go to the front desk, and say you're with Minicon. If you are not offered our rate, see below.
If you are not offered our rate:
- If you are reserving your room ahead of time, get a room at whatever rate you can and e-mail your confirmation number to email@example.com. We will transfer your reservation into our block at our rate. However, don't do this after midday Wednesday, since we may then be at the hotel and no longer checking e-mail.
- If you are at the hotel and the front desk does not honor our rate, ask that they call Keith Malgren — our hotel contact.
It's near bus routes 6K, 540, 542, 578, and 589. However, only the 6K and 540 run on the weekend and only at very limited times. See the Metrotransit website for schedules. The hotel also runs a free shuttle to and from the airport and the Mall of America, which can be reached by the Hiawatha Light Rail line.
The Southdale Transit Center, 3 miles northeast of the hotel, is much better served by busses. Depending on where and when you start, the fastest option might be to take the bus to Southdale and then either walk or cab to us.
Megabus is a good option for getting to us from out of town. (It's like Greyhound, but cleaner and cheaper. Their routes are more limited, though.) It stops at the 4th Street Parking Garage in downtown Minneapolis and also at the University of MN. From the downtown stop, if the 6K is running:
- Walk about 2.5 blocks east Hennepin Ave
- Catch the 6K bus southbound: The Sheraton is at the end of the line.
- Walk south about 1 block on 2nd Ave to 5th St
- Turn left (east) onto 5th St
- Walk about 1.5 blocks to the Hiawatha Light Rail stop "Warehouse District/Hennepin Ave"
- Take this to the airport, Lindbergh Terminal
- Take the hotel shuttle to Minicon
2pm late checkout is available on request. This is limited based on availability.